Bill Gates – The Coolest Facts From His Biography
Net worth: $79.2B(2018)
Country: United States - Medina, Washington
Education: Dropped out of Harvard University
Started: 20 years old
Got Rich: Founder of a company
Bill Gates (William Henry "Bill" Gates III) is one of the co-founders of the biggest software corporation on earth - Microsoft. He is also known as the father of the Windows OS (operating system), that has been developed since 1985. He is one of the entrepreneurs who took a huge advantage from the world computer revolution that started a few decades ago. He made billions from selling software, today around 90% of all desktop computers and laptops use a version of windows as their operating system. Currently Bill Gates is the richest person on earth with net worth (2015) of $79.2 billion.
Biography of Bill Gates
The biography of Bill Gates is quite interesting from a business point of view. There are some pretty cool sources where you can enjoy it:
- On his personal website, where you can find some great information about his life story: http://www.gatesnotes.com/Bio
- On Biography.com: http://www.biography.com/people/bill-gates-9307520
Business Advice From Bill Gates
- Bill Gates is one of the most successful entrepreneurs on Earth. He has become one of the riches men in the world all by himself and he has kept this position for many years. A lot can be learned about business from him... Below are some of the most important tips extracted from his experience.
- Learn from Unhappy Customers - your unhappy customers are the best friends of your business, they will tell you what you need to improve and what your mistakes are.
- Don’t make the same decision twice... - Bill thinks that taking final, but well considered decisions about you business is crucial for success.
- "I failed in some subjects in exam, but my friend passed in all. Now he is an engineer in Microsoft and I am the owner of Microsoft." - this quote tells that really smart people surround themselves with (hire) smarter people than themselves, and this is how their chances for success go to the sky.
- Love competition - according to him, this is one of the most important engines of business. Your competition will make you improve your product/service and will always keep you awake. Without competition you have no incentive to develop and grow, because you know that nothing threatens your business.
- Take more than you can carry - when Bill told to MITS that they had software for ALTAIR 8800 computer, he actually lied. He believed that if they (he and his friend Paul Allen) got the deal, they will somehow manage to create it. The risk something to go wrong was really big, but he took it and succeeded.
Bill Gates Famous Quotes
It's fine to celebrate success but it is more important to heed the lessons of failure.
Success is a lousy teacher. It seduces smart people into thinking they can't lose.
Your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning.
Don't compare yourself with anyone in this world...if you do so, you are insulting yourself.
I choose a lazy person to do a hard job. Because a lazy person will find an easy way to do it.
- Bill was lucky to attend one of the only high schools with a computer - The Lakeside School. This was where he actually got his passion for coding.
- When he was in high school, he co-founded another company before Microsoft (with Paul Allen and Paul Gilbert) called Traf-O-Data.
- When they realized that Bill was a coding prodigy, his school gave him the task to code the program that scheduled the students in classes. He made the program in a way that he was placed in classes with more girls there.
- Gates was arrested in 1977 for driving without having a driver's license and not stopping at a red light.
- His SAT score is the astonishing 1590 points (from max. 1600).
- He shared with his university professors that he would become a millionaire by the age of 30... Eventually he became a billionaire at 31.
- His children will inherit only $10 million each, from his fortune. Poor they...:)
- Bill actually save hundreds of thousands of lives by providing vaccines to poor countries.
- His house is 66 000 sq feet and it was worth around $63 million.
- If he spent $3 000 000 every single day, he would need more than 70 years to spend his net worth.
- The foundation of Gates - Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation - spends more on health problems that the World Health Organization in the USA.
- Microsoft actually bought their first operating system from a guy, who has created it in his spare time, in his garage. One day Paul Allen entered in the garage of Tom Patterson and offered him the astonishing amount of $50 000 dollars for his QDOS operating system. Tim thought that this guy must be crazy to offer him 50k for something he had created for the last few weeks. He accepted the offer and sold QDOS to Microsoft. This was how the popular MS-DOS was born.
- Microsoft was founded because of a lie. Bill Gates started in business by calling a computer company called MITS and telling them that they developed a BASIC interpreter for their computer Altair 8800. When the guys from MITs wanted to see this software, Bill faced a little problem - he just didn't have it. He and his friend Paul Allen had to create it in a matter of days, in order to show it on the already arranged meeting. Eventually MITS loved the interpreter and bought it from the young guys... This is how Microsoft was founded in 1975.
- Bill would be the 62 richest country in the world, if he was one.
- He has donated more than $30 billion to charity and has pledged to donate 95% of his income.
- The last point in his list with tasks and wishes is... Not to die...
Contact This Entrepreneur
Bill Gates Facebook profile: https://www.facebook.com/BillGates/
Twitter profile: https://twitter.com/BillGates
Google +: not found