What Is Guerrilla Marketing? Strategies And Examples
Guerrilla marketing a one of the coolest and the most effective way to market your business. Believe it or not, no guerrillas are involved in this process. These animals have something in common just with the name of this technique, nothing more.
So in simple words…
Guerrilla marketing is a low-cost strategy based on an innovative, unconventional and creative approach than on big marketing budgets. This means cool and engaging marketing using just a small budget, but a lot of brainpower and innovation. To make it more clear for you, here are some cool examples:
1. This is an advertisement for the Canadian company Alberta Travel. They could buy some advertising space on a newspaper or a local TV, but this guerrilla campaign one was far more engaging and attractive (a poster in a metro station):
2. This is another advertisement that employed the guerrilla marketing approach. Nobody would expect to see a big record on the ground, but if one sees it, this will be remembered for sure. This is how guerrilla marketing creates bigger interest and attraction.
3. One more example – an advertisement for a fitness club:
The father of guerrilla marketing is Jay Conrad Levinson, who created the term for the first time in his book ‘Guerrilla Marketing’, issued in 1984. Since then, this has become widely accepted word and strategy employed by companies from all around the world.
One of the main goals of this strategy is to send your message to the potential customer the way that he/she will remember it the most. This is usually achieved by creative an unconventional thinking. Once the customer is influenced this way, he/she will also and most probably share his/her impressions with family and friends. A secondary goal is to reduce you marketing budget without reducing the effectiveness of your campaign. A cool guerrilla idea is usually cheap to implement, but very effective. This makes this strategy so great.
Advantages and Disadvantages Of Guerrilla Marketing
- It’s cheap – this type of marketing is a low cost one, this is by definition. So it’s really suitable if you have a small budget.
- It’s exciting – just see the examples from above – they are really cool and innovative ideas. I just enjoyed watching it, as many other people do…
- It memorable – if you see something interesting and unique, the chances to remember it grow.
- It’s self-spreading – as I said something innovative and exciting is worth spreading with friends to share the excitement with them.
- It’s FUNNY – creating and executing such campaigns could be a really funny thing.
- You need to be creative to achieve success – not everyone can create innovative and enjoyable ads, it’s hard to get a good idea. It requires more time and dedication because you really need something jaw breaking to be effective.
- Sometimes it just doesn’t – this is true, but I think it’s the same with anything else in the world.
So that’s all for now. I think, now you got an idea about guerrilla marketing and what it is. If you find this article useful, please share it with friends, we have some nice social buttons below. Thanks!